Serves as a meal for 4 with steamed rice or as part of a banquet for 4-6
Marinating the chicken overnight gives this dish a rich, luscious flavour – the honey caramelizes when stir-fried and the addition of the five-spice powder gives this dish that unmistakable Chinese aroma.
- 800g (1lb 10oz) chicken thigh fillets cut into 2cm (1inch) slices
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons shao hsing wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons finely diced ginger
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
Combine chicken with marinade ingredients in a large bowl, cover, and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
Heat oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly. Add half the marinated chicken with the marinade and stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove from the wok with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add remaining chicken and stir-fry for 1 minute. Return reserved chicken to the wok with soy sauce and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and slightly caramelised.
Serve with steamed greens and steamed rice.
This recipe is from Simple Chinese Cooking by Kylie Kwong