Makes approx. 600mls – enough for 50 mince pies
- 60ml ruby port
- 75g soft dark brown sugar
- 300g cranberries (I used frozen cranberries)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 75g currants
- 75g raisins
- 30g dried cranberries
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 25ml brandy
- 1/8 teaspoon or a few drops almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 x 15ml tablespoon honey
In a large saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the ruby port over a gently heat.
Add the cranberries to the saucepan.
Then add the cinnamon, ginger and cloves, with the currants, raisins and dried cranberries and the zest and juice of the orange.
Simmer for 20 minutes or until everything looks pulpy and has absorbed most of the liquid in the pan. You may need to squish the cranberries a little with the back of a wooden spoon to incorporate them.
Take off the heat and, when it has cooled a little, stir in the brand, almond and vanilla extracts and honey and beat once more, vociferously, with your wooden spoon to encourage it to turn into a berry-beaded paste.
This recipe is from Nigella Christmas by Nigella Lawson