- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 45g (13/4oz/1/4 cup) small black olives, pitted
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 300g (103/4 oz) cooked short pasta, such as fusilli or penne
- 75g (23/4oz) fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat and cook the onion, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic, carrot and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes more.
Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the olives, season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
Stir the tomato sauce through the cooked pasta and spoon into a casserole dish. Dot with mozzarella and bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
This recipe is from Every Day by Bill Granger