This hearty pasta of sausage meat in a rich, tomato sauce calls for garlicky, meaty Italian-style pork sausages.
- 20mls/1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g Italian-style pork sausages
- 200mls dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes or 400mls tomato passata (available from greengrocers and delis)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 400g short pasta (such as fusilli or penne)
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley or thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Heat olive oil in a heavy-based frypan. Skin the sausages and pinch meat into the pan. Brown the meat well, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the wine and allow it to bubble and reduce in volume by half, stirring well.
Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes or passata and sugar. Add a pinch of sea salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite (al dente). Drain, reserving a cupful of the water. Toss the drained pasta in the sauce over medium heat, adding some cooking water, if necessary, to keep it saucy.
Servie the pasta on hot plates and scatter with the fresh parsley or thyme and grate Parmesan if desired.
Recipe from Delicious magazine 2003.