– 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 11/2 cups (105g) fresh breadcrumbs
– 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
– 150g goats cheese
– 1/2 cup polenta for coating
– Olive oil, for brushing
– 40g butter
– 2 garlic cloves, sliced
– 200g silver beet (Swiss chard), trimmed and chopped
– 4 slices crusty bread, whole-egg mayonnaise and store-bought caramelized onions to serve
Place the chickpeas, breadcrumbs, parsley and cheese in a food processor and process until combined. Shape mixture into 4 equal sized patties – I made 8 smaller patties I found them easier to cook. Pour the polenta into a bowl and evenly cover the patties, refrigerate for 30 minutes. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Brush the patties with oil and cook for 4 minutes each side until golden. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and sliver beet and cook until just wilted. Top bread with mayonnaise, patties, onion and silver beet to serve.
This recipe is from the Donna Hay Magazine – April/May 2011Issue