- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2.5cm/1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 large green chilli, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 250g/1 cup red lentils
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves
Heat a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the onion, ginger, garlic, chilli, salt and cumin and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft. Add the lentils and 750mls (3 cups) of water and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until the lentils have dissolved.
Remove from the heat and stir through the lime juice. Top with the coriander leaves and serve with naan bread
To make this more of a meal I also added 1 grated carrot and 10 button mushrooms, chopped.
This recipe is from Simply Bill by Bill Granger