I am not a big fan of tofu however, these are delicious, try them you will be surprised.
Serves 4 Preparation: 30 minutes Cooking: 30 minutes
- 450g/1lb firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried basil or thyme
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon smooth peanut butter (I have used tahini too which works well)
- 100g/4oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 75g/3oz cashew nuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the tofu between 2 layers of kitchen paper and press out any excess water. Transfer to a bowl and mash well with a fork.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until softened. Stir in the basil or thyme and carrot and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Mix the contents of the frying pan into the tofu along with the soy sauce, peanut butter (or tahini), breadcrumbs, cashew nuts and parsley. Season. Shape the mixture into individual burgers (approximately 8).
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Place the burgers on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the burgers from the oven and serve hot with a salad.
This recipe is from BBC Vegetarian Food Magazine from a long time ago.